Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A case of really bad science

I don't use the term " bad science," lightly, as it implies that "good science" is always pure and politics-free, which I don't think it the case. All science is political, whether it is "good" or "bad." But in the case I discuss below, the scientific evidence was clearly overlooked because of politics.

What is the case I'm talking about? The FDA decision to not make the morning-after pill available over-the-counter. It turns out FDA administrators made their decision to ban it before they had read all of the scientific evidence about the efficacy and safety about the drug.

Here's a CNN story about the case. http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/11/14/morningafter.pill.ap/index.html

Given the current administration's track record when it comes to matters of women's health, I can't say I am surprised by this report.

No comments: