Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hip Parenting

Even though I am not a parent (yet), I love Hip Mama. It's a quarterly zine based in Portland, Oregon, that approaches pregnancy, parenting, and family issues from a feminist, anti-racist, and queer-friendly perspective.

Ariel Gore, the hip mama who started the zine, has also written several related books, most of which I own and have read. The Hip Mama's Survivial Guide is a primer covering assorted pregnancy, child birth, and child rearing issues. The Mother Trip: Hip Mama's Guide to Staying Sane in the Chaos of Motherhood, deals with the trials, tribulations, and stresses of being a mother. Breeder: Real-Life Stories from the New Generation of Mothers, which is edited by Gore and Hip Mama co-editor, Bee Lavender (more about her in another post), is an anthology of mothering stories written by various hip mamas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Hip Mama! I first came across it living in SF in some random coffee shop. While I honestly don't want to be a parent, I think it's a great magazine for those who do.

Anonymous said...

Other great resources (though not zines) are Brain, Child and Mothering.

Barbara Ley said...

Hey Jill,

Thanks for reading my blog and for posting comments:-) I haven't heard of Brain or Child, but I have read Mothering on various occasions.

Barbara Ley said...

Hey Jill,
Don't know if you'll see this or not, but I added Brain,Child to my resource list. Thanks for the heads up about it. It looks like a great magazine:-)