Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Restarting my yoga and meditation practice

I've practiced yoga and meditation on and off for the past eight years. I have found both practices very beneficial to my physical and emotional health. Both practices ease my stress and anxiety, keep me feeling centered and connected to myself, and help my body stay strong, flexible, and less susceptible to illness.

My main problem with both practices, however, is that I have never been able to sustain a regular practice over extended periods of time. What tends to happen is that I'll commit myself to these practices, do them daily for a few weeks or so, and then get caught up in my work and wind up pushing them aside for a long time. Then, after I start to feel run down and out of sorts, I realize that I need get back to my practice. So I start it up again, do it for awhile, and then got knocked off course from some life or work-related occurrence.

This summer, my goal is to get back into my daily practice and keep it up for the entire summer. I have a more relaxed work schedule this summer, so keeping up my routine is very possible. It's just a question of discipline and giving myself the time each day to practice.

I recommend yoga and meditation as practices that could benefit all people, and if you are interested in learning more about them, visit Yoga Journal's website. This website is chock full of great information/resources about yoga, meditation, health, spirituality, and other related topics for beginners, advanced practitioners, and teachers. Other yoga magazines that also have great websites include Yoga International and Ascent.


I restarted my practice on Sunday, and I'll keep you posted as to how I'm doing with it.

No comments: